Wednesday, September 28, 2011

New Writing Supplies...and a Confession


We'll start with the confession: my handwriting is really, really horrible. Below you will find recently acquired writing materials from an antique mall and estate sale. However, you should not expect this to result in a pencast on this blog. Yep, that bad. I can't draw, either – that's why I do photography.

The good news is that gingercat (Svetlana's codename for my youngest daughter) has artistic skills obviously not inherited from her parents. I helped her set up her own blog and she looks forward to productive pencasting after she overcomes first post writer's block.  My elder daughter was inspired by the quill and pen journals of a Lewis and Clark Expedition reenactor and may give it a try as well.

Estate sale materials from someone who did oil leasing and basic stratigraphy

I love these graphics!  Perhaps gingercat will make better use of these than I could.

The Royal QDL likes the new paper.  Sadly, it is still in need of cleaning and a more competent typist.  My wife loved the button.  She is a long time Beatles fanatic.

Tasty, and still ready to go after many years.

I work for a coatings company and am amazed this ink is in such good shape.

Gingercat and I looked for fountain pens at an antique mall, yesterday.  Junkies...
 Pen fans:  How old is this ink?  I also have a half bottle of Parker Super Chrome in blue.  The bottle isn't quite as photogenic and the tin isn't so great, but I'll post photos on request.

Once we have a pen to work with, we'll post the results.

3 comments:

  1. "QUINK"!

    Now that's a word I haven't seen in many years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, very elegant bottles. Amazing how much detail for such an everyday object.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wikipedia has an interesting (and perhaps semi-accurate) entry on Quink. The product had a pretty long run with the early iteration being fairly corrosive. I'll have to check the pH. Quink was supposed to be a jump ahead in application and drying, but it destroyed common plastics of that era.

    The bottles are indeed beautiful. I would have bought them for their design even without the ink.

    ReplyDelete

Dang. My blog was hit by Spam comments. Comment moderation has been turned on for some time yet to be determined.